AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Corner post heaving out of ground
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

don@nebr
Posted 2/20/2008 15:03 (#314796 - in reply to #314032)
Subject: RE: Corner post heaving out of ground

I tried something a few years ago as a trial and its still working okay.

I used 8' 'forever's' then stuck a 2X2 1/4 inch angle iron(beefy) between another post that far,,,probably 6-8 ' away, and crossed it from top(brace) to bottom (corner)as previously described here and twitched it tight as possible, then put a old junk piece of pipe about 2" stuff that reaches out 14 foot or so(ITS way too frickin cold to go measure it!!) Then twitched that to bottom of brace post.

So in summarry I have one H brace and one float brace. Keep in mind it is REAL hard to keep a 'Forever' post straight,,,specially on a corner!! It may NOT be exactly perfect,,,but close enough for who its for. I always thought IF it pulled middle too hard I would put another angle in there. IF the whole corner pulled crooked I was going to slip a pivot pipe over the plastic. So far havent needed it and this should be good for 50 or so years,,,THEY dont rot off that I know of.

Another tip for keeping any post from tipping from pull is to take a disk blade of JUNK value and drive them with your tamper disk face forward right next to the post so the pull has to move wide part of blade AND post!! Solves about 90 % of the tip. Always thought thats what old disk blades were for!!(besides playing playground softball at country school ,, the bases) d;~)

Other nice part is in a feed lot situation they dont rot,,,neither do cattle rub on them,,,or crib them!! Long ago we used railroad ties and are less than happy now cause they all rotted off way too soon based on their HUGE size to begin with!!

Other way you CAN fight the forever bow is to set a wood one right behind it and lash them together in enough spots to NOT let it bow!! IF the wood rots off you dont have to fight the WHOLE corner (wires)replacing it. The plastic I doubt will deteriaorte in 5 lifetimes!!

Edited by don@nebr 2/20/2008 15:15
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)