AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Respect
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

95h
Posted 2/19/2008 09:38 (#313604 - in reply to #313109)
Subject: RE: Respect

Kittitas Co. Wa. State

Builder,,  Shuting down the meat packing plant, might hurt the owner's some but not a lot. There would be several unintended consequences to what you're calling for....  Alot of employees out of work, LONGER HAULS for cattle being taken to another meat packing plant. Lots of truck drivers out of that job, possibly lower prices for Producers selling cattle due to longer hauls. etc,etc,

Be careful what you wish for................

Roy is right too,, it could very well have been "staged" for a market downturn and giving the packer a black eye. Indead giving all meat packers a black eye!!  There are a few unscrupulous "animal rights" groups in the US who would do something just like this. Check with the FBI and CIA "terrorist lists" there's a few names YOU will recognize!! The other issues with moving cattle,, Roy was right too about cattle getting very obstinate during moves.  I highly doubt the cow in question was knowing sent on the truck as a downer,, likely could have just been the stress of the haul, weather, etc.. and she went down at the packing plant.  Truck Drivers wouldn't take a downer,, as they should know the plant could not use the animal, as should the Producer.

There isn't hardly Producer from hay growers, to Dairy~Beef producers, etc that isn't P.O'ed at the way the plant employees handled the cow.  It was Bad publicity for EVERYONE !!  Including Other Packers across the U.S.  The MOST influencial organization should be the Packing Plants themselves.. 

THEY SHOULD be SCREAMING their Heads OFF PUBLICALLY about this packer. Whether they will or not remains to be seen. And, the Packers should be demanding more USDA inspectors on site to monitor plants such as this.

As to the PINHEAD employees involved they were fired, but the prosecutor of that County should be looking at prosecuting the employees involved. Yes,, that can become a "slippery slope" but NOT addressing it isn't much better.  Far as "Supervisors",, the Owners, Manager's should be holding the "supervisors" personally responsible for their lack of supervision of the employees responsible. Either fine them, garnish wages, for their lack of proper supervision, or demote them.

THe main thing is the Packing Plant SHOULD BE RIGHT OUT IN FRONT of this TRAIN WRECK, PUBLIC, and Telling the world what they ARE doing to make sure this doesn't happen. 

Unfortunately,, instead of getting in front of this TRAIN WRECK,, just speaking from what is in the news in my area,  THE Packing Plant is NOT,, they are being quiet hoping the "stink" will just drift away.

( if I was an owner,, and the "pr" people were advocating lay low,, I would fire the PR people and get a new organization in place Pronto!!)  

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)