AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Russ
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Russ In Idaho
Posted 2/9/2008 06:14 (#305167 - in reply to #304305)
Subject: RE:Glad to here it

I'm glad it worked for you! It sure saves a lot of work. When hauling in freezing weather I also like to salt the floor of the Alum. trailers before loading cattle, then I can haul them, unload after dark and clean trailer the next day in the light. I never salted a steel trailer though. I'm not looking forward to next week, I've got to move cattle out of Utah into desert country to get ready to calve on the first of March. It will take a full day of cleaning snow from corrals just to get trucks into load, Semi's will have to back up a lane for over a 1/4 mile to load. I'm also not looking forward to paying 4 bucks a mile for bull wagons either!

Winter has hit us hard here, anywhere from 1 1/2' to 4' of snow on the ground here in my area. Kids this last week only went to school for 2 days. The wind has shut everything down, I-84 was shut down for about 20 hours here the first of the week, I bet I could have bought any truck I wanted out on the freeway out side of Snowville, Ut. They were lined out for over five miles on the interstate. Their is a mountain pass my kids have to go over to get to school, any wind and they have to bring a rotory in to clean it. Kids have missed over 5-6 full days and a few 1/2 days they where sent home early before they closed the pass. My kids are hating it, when they are home I make them help feed and scrape corrals all day long! My Bi-directional has been down for 2 weeks now, only had a 4-wheel drive backhoe w/ chains on for loader work. It seems I have to push snow every day here! I hope we see some sun here today!

The only fun part of all this snow is, I broke down before x-mas, and bought a couple of used snowmoblies, they have has a blast running then around helping feeding, chasing cows, etc. Too much snow here to ride a 4-wheeler very much around here. Other than we have gotten snowmoblie bug now! I guess I'm going to have to buy a few more next winter. We had to have the county patrol come and open a few roads for us to move cattle on the desert, we had 4 sleds, 5 horseback riders, move 1,200 hd. about 5-7 miles. It's not looking good for calving around here. I've got coke dust ordered to spread on calving grounds. They are coming today to see if floater truck can go, or if we have to break trail for them, go and get a air cart to pull with a 4-wheel drive tractor.

Now I just need to work on the beef check- off thing with you! There might be hope yet! LOL ! I will agree it's not perfect, but we have to try something.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)