AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Show Calf Pricing
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

NWOHyoungfarmer
Posted 11/28/2007 11:34 (#247776 - in reply to #247703)
Subject: Re: Show Calf Pricing

Northwest Ohio
Let me rephrase my response to your question is it fair to show against a $50,000 calf.  Yes I do cause some times the more you pay doesn't mean they are unbeatable.  For example you can really tell the difference between a $800 and a $1500 and a $1500-$4000 but when they get up to $10,000-$50,000 they really aren't better then a $5,000-$7500 just more people bid them up cause they all wanted the same one.  Did I lose ya, I am saying there are exceptions but I don't care how much you spend its how you raise it that makes a difference.  I would love to sell a $50,000 one but never would buy one, You could buy a $50,000 one and not know what you were doing or not take care of it thinking I have a $50,000 one I don't have to and get smoked at your county fair every time. I have seen it happen and I just laugh, They always said our steers at county fair were $10,000-$15,000 steers every year the rumors were all around.  The truth is that our steer average $2,500 but our last year we spent $3,500 and got smoked because it was a political deal big time.  We had the calf to beat and we got forth in class, the worst we have every done even with our $800 first year projects.  But when you buy the steer from the judge and the judge helped raised it the to add even move the judge was her boy friend thats a bunch of BS!!!!  I am still pissed at the fair for allowing it to happen even though they were spotted 2 days before the show holding hands on the midway. 
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)