AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How is ethanol affecting your basis?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

paul the original
Posted 11/28/2007 09:49 (#247680 - in reply to #247017)
Subject: RE: Why worry about the Basis?

southern MN
I've often wondered why people worry about the Chicago price - unless you live in Chicago. Local basis is actually my price, don't know about you.

I don't know that I've ever seen a positive basis on corn or beans in my life; corn basis is kinda close for this time of year. Most users buy/contract a bunch at the harvest surge when basis is wide, and there is little exporting from the region after the Missisppi freezes up so local buyers have a firm hold on any sellers until spring thaw. We export 1/3 out of the state, so almost always more sellers than buyers any given day threough winter.

The narrow basis - either less grain available; no one is selling; the trains are taking more grain to the PNW than the barges are taking south; or the bad drought left us real short of grain & buyers are scrambling - quietly so as not to run the price up more.....

Makes me wonder what the future holds for corn sales/ availabilty around me, where the basis goes. My coop had extra storage space - they turned people away the past 2 years (that may be why they have extra room tho....).

Basis is part of my price, it tells me a lot about demand and stocks - if I were smart enough to figure it out.

--->Paul
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)