AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Picking corn hybrids for next year. It seems they all win every plot trial
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

seedsguy
Posted 11/18/2007 21:04 (#240730 - in reply to #239858)
Subject: Re: Picking corn hybrids for next year. It seems they all win every plot trial

I have a suggestion. Find a good seed person or consultant that you have a very trustworthy relationship and let him help you pick your products for next yr. I don't understand why growers spend so much time focused on last yrs results to pick next yrs products or even the last two yrs? Hybrids are changing too fast to even depend on that. Save yourself from all the headache and turmoil of picking the few "magic" hybrids for next yr and focus on the 14 or 15 things you can control like planter speed, depth control, proper fertility, nitrogen efficiency etc and then pick a wide range of hybrids from several different families and maturities to spread risk. Tell the salespeople that show up to stick their plots in their A** and if they can't help you raise 250bu + yields then run them off the farm.

I have been in the seed business for 25+ yrs and my customers look to me for things other than to try and help them pick the "hot" hybrid off of this yrs results. I work with them on things that make a difference on their bottom line because if I don't help them stay in business then I won't be in business long either!!! How many on here put together a cropping plan that focuses on all things needed to raise a profitable crop vs trying to work with 3 or 4 people to see how they can get things bought the cheapest???

Quit wasting your time and work with someone you can trust who understands both seed and agronomy and run the rest off the farm !!!!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)