AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Flooding....
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

martin
Posted 6/29/2006 08:00 (#22737 - in reply to #22615)
Subject: RE: Flooding....

I've had 9.8" rain in the last 7 days. (I am located between Harrisburg, PA and Hagerstown, MD., about 10-12 miles northeast of Kingbaby's farm.)
You have to realize that in the northeast - as a rule - we do not have the huge flat areas that are found in the Cornbelt. For the most part we needed rain. There are going to be some areas where crops are lost. However, I think they will be isolated areas - mainly river and creek bottoms. The one area where this would not be true is the DelMarva peninsula. There the fields are flatter, the water table is closer to the surface, and water does not drain off as fast. Also, I think they had more rain than we had. You may see more crop damage there.

I saw on TV that experts are projecting the Susquehanna River to crest out above flood stage at a level higher than what occurred with Hurricane Ivan in Sept. 2004. (If my memory is correct, Ivan is the storm that brought Soybean Rust to the mainland USA.)

One final thought: in the northeast, at least in PA, we do not grow enough corn and soybeans to make a huge difference. We could have substantial losses in those crops, and it would have relatively little impact in the overall market price. (Same is said when we have a record crop! Laughing )
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)