AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Hay tedder, I have adjusted my thinking.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Hay Wilson in TX
Posted 10/23/2007 17:43 (#225320 - in reply to #225096)
Subject: Re: Hay tedder, I have adjusted my thinking.

Little River, TX
Neil,
As I write, all my alfalfa is now plowed out. I will replant the first field back into alfalfa with the first moisture after Labor Day, 2008.
I hope to put two fields into Tifton 85, bermudagrass in the spring.
Depending on my capricious whimsical nature I may plant 2 fields back to alfalfa in September 2009, but for sure one field.

One reason for the stepped replanting is my fertility program. I normally plow in 500 lbs Murate of Potash and 1500 lbs of Potassium- Magnesium- Sulfate, Enough phosphate to bring the soil test up to 20 ppm P (Olsen chemistry) plus a bunch extra due to all the free lime here. Then I will also put down a few pounds of copper sulfate, some molybdenum, a little zinc, and a good shot of boron. The cost is exciting but all should last through the life of the stand, or 20 tons/A of hay.

Bermudagrass, 2008 will be a little different from my usual ways. I normally spray a newly greening up bermudagrass field with 2 pints of round up. Reason is to get the weeds and set the bermudagrass back so the first cutting will be in June, and not interfering with my alfalfa harvesting. In 2008 the first cutting should be the in Mid May but probably late May. I will be shooting for 4 cuttings rather than my usual 3 cuttings of coastal bermudagrass. January I will probably increase the anhydrous from 370 lbs/A to a little over 500 lbs/A and shoot for 7 or 8 tons/A of bermuda hay.
If you are interested in alfalfa check out http://forage.okstate.edu/publications/FN07-9-oct.pdf
and http://forage.okstate.edu/oklahoma-forage-newsletter.htm
I get most of my information about alfalfa from Oklahoma. You do have Calvin Trostle in Lubbock who is making a good effort to support alfalfa production in West Texas. I hope to attend one of his half day alfalfa sessions Summer, 2008.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)