AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Alfalfa, putting N back in, When?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Hay Wilson in TX
Posted 10/21/2007 11:14 (#223867 - in reply to #223619)
Subject: My personal opinion, for what it is worth

Little River, TX
Realize summer drought is the usual for Central Texas, rather than the exception. Add to this I am a hay farmer not into program crops.
It is my observations that we need extra fertilizer during a dry year than for a wet one. Probably the crop can find enough fertility in a drier soil if the fertility level is much higher. This thinking flies into the face of conventional wisdom but it works in my hay fields.
As to paying for another's error? I am torn here. I would probably expect the fertilizer sales force to pick up application cost and the difference between retail and their cost for the material. But then with my heavy clay soils things may work different than for your soils.
Because you drew them a map with explicit instructions there should have not been any misunderstanding. Any Aw Shucks should be on their time, as long as you did not leave anything up to their discretion.

One thing I would do is keep a copy of your instructions and insist the sales individual sign your copy. Any deviations are to be compensated by that individual. It is his responsibility to insure the driver knows what your requirements are. At the same time No body does anything on my place that I do not personally oversee. In fact I usually ride in the cab with the operator. That way it is done my way. Case in point, 10 - 15 years ago I was going against all wisdom and applying potash to alfalfa. In a fit I stopped the driver and had him put the whole load on one field. Had to go over the field two times because the truck would only apply 1,000/A wide open. We graveled that bare ground with potash. Had a number of people tell me I was in deep trouble, but the alfalfa tissue analysis was back up to 2.50% K and that field's productivity improved enough to more than pay for all that potash over the 5 year life of the stand.

Seeing as it was their Fox Pass I do not think you should have to pay for their operating margin.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)