AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Alfalfa, putting N back in, When?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Rich
Posted 10/20/2007 21:41 (#223619 - in reply to #223535)
Subject: RE: You are both half correct.

Kansas
Here's the deal Hay.......(Dang corn farmers, all they know is corn till wheat is 8 bucks a bushel then they double crop everything and still talk CORN!!)

This was an established stand of hay on a sidehill that been there for a good 6 to 8 years. Last 2 years have been the only real decent return on it. Years prior during the drought it would make maybe 1 or 2 cuttings and looked like it went dormant then, nothing. I worked it up this spring after we took off the first cutting. Have been working the ground preparing it for wheat planting this fall.

I told that cargill man not to put dry fert on it since it joins in with the rest of the field that is going back to wheat, continuous crop. The rig operator didn't look at the map very dilligently and goes and lays on another 65 lbs of actual dry on top of what is already I feel a nitrogen rich soil.

I told cargill man I hope like hell it doesnt' burn up the wheat. Then he tells me this song about roots breaking down. Why I need to understand the facts. If in fact the majority is in the root breaking down now, that's all fine and good but the fact remains that there is still residual by large amounts in that soil from previous root structure dying off after harvesting the hay off from what you said. Which now proves my point. I had generous amounts of N availble for what I wanted to do now.

If that field burns up, I wonder if I have any recourse for damages? Neighbor told me I'm going to have to work with them and pay for the fert and get the application free or something near to that. I told him they can go to hell. I told him not to put any on and they screwed up and I'm not paying for thier mistake.

If we lack rainfall or moisture persay, this winter and next spring, I think I'm gonna have a field of nothing.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)