AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

opnion question, would you ever want to own a salebarn?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

allanme79
Posted 1/26/2012 10:59 (#2187114 - in reply to #2172693)
Subject: RE: opnion question, would you ever want to own a salebarn?

Moberly MO
Here is what I sent a guy one time who posted about a question about buying one.

I was raised in the sale barn business so I think I can give you the honest answers. I have a list of questions that you should ask yourself. If a majority of the answers are not yes then you should reconsider buying the barn. These are just my thoughts I don’t mean to be rude but it is a lot of money to operate a barn and these are tough times.

1. Do you currently buy and trade cattle on a regular basis?
2. Can you look at a group of cattle and estimate the average weight and know what the market is for the cattle?
3. Have you ever bought loads of cattle and had them fed out?
4. Do you know most of the farmers in the area and all of the cattle traders?
5. Do you know how many cattle of each weight can fit on a tractor trailer and how to coordinate for loads for the truckers on the way back from the feed yards so you can make extra money?
6. Can you go to a auction barn and know what cattle are traders and farm raised?
7. Do you have a barn and land available to work about 100 cattle that are not sold until you can run them through the barn again in a few weeks?
8. Are you a natural salesman?
9. If one guy bought 20, 300lb steers from one farmer that were blk blk wf and another guy bought 20, 350b steers that were bought individually or in small groups with the same colors and they got mixed together when a gate came open could you sort them? Trust me this happens all the time.
10. Could you stand to lose 50K in one month and still be able to apply for a line a credit with your bank?
11. Do you like to talk for hours on the phone to idiots?

I would also ask why is the guy selling the place. I mean cattle traders don’t sell a money making program. If there are salebarns in the area that are dominating the cattle scene then it is hard to break into the market. These are just my thoughts. If you don’t understand why my questions are relative to buying a salebarn then you should REALLY think hard about . You will wear many hats as a sale barn owner. Every customer is different and some of them are liars and cheaters who will claim their animal weighed more, died and it was your fault, tell others you cheated them, ect ect ect.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Allan Sharrock
www.farmsteadrealty.com

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)