AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

kinda long-The day the feedman saved my job!
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

garvo
Posted 1/22/2012 12:21 (#2178215)
Subject: kinda long-The day the feedman saved my job!

western iowa,by Denison
Waiting for my cattle to finish eating before I move them,have a little time-Dateline 1979-
Started working for my Dad again the summer of 1979-starting pay $300 a month,this pay would stay the same till 1984-5years,.
It was about Feb 1980,I got engaged In Dec.Wedding would be in July,My new to me Brother-in-law invited me to go along to a farm sale at Wall Lake Ia.Well why I went to the sale the cattle got out-283 head of 800# wild fat running steers-of course I get home and Mom&Dad were still casing about 55 head as they had the other ones in.To think it's posiable to get fired by both parents was unbelievably-YOUR FIRED-the gate where they got out was left open by my mom as she had watched the gate and didn't hook the chain when I came back through with the tractor and feedwagon-she told me this 1 year later.
Dad told me to gather my things,and move on-that nite I went to see my soon to be new wife and tell her I was fired.The next morning I went to the house and my Mom said if i apologized to Dad I might get hired back-so with my hat in my hand I went to see my Dad who was working on a farm rental house and apologize for the cattle getting out and would make sure it never happened again. We had a heated discussion ,I was blamed for the cattle getting out,the feed-wagon breaking down ,the truck-grinder running out of gas,and Mom's poor noon meal because she was helping get the cattle in while I was gone. Needless to say I was FIRED again-on the spot,you have 1 hour gather your things-so to save face I again said to Dad I was very sorry,I would gather my things and be gone by noon.
Meanwhile (if your from Carroll County Iowa)you will know of Donnie Danner-The feed salesman for Purinia.Donnie pulled up in his car-yes Donnie always drove a car,he had more vet stuff in his trunk then most of the vets carried in there truck,and boots.Well before I got out of the house Donnie was coming in the front door,we had a brief visit and he asked me where Dad was as he wanted to talk to both of us about a new swine feed -well to make a long story short,Donnie told Dad he was really impressed how the feeder pigs in the south pen looked so good,fresh bedding,and clean,and that Dad sure was takin care of them,Dad told him That I had been takin care of them and Donnie went on and complemented me on a fine job! Well the next comment insured my job as Donnie went on to say"You Know Harvey without these young guy's around we don't stand a chance to get the work done"
Well needless to say,I was hired back on for $300 a month,5years,and would be livestocksharecropping by the spring of 1985.I still wonder to this day how many farmboys ended up farming by the few comments or praises by are forever loved salesman Donnie Danner?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)