AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Weight spread in group of feeder cattle
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

buckeyefarmer
Posted 1/22/2012 08:09 (#2177775 - in reply to #2177164)
Subject: RE: Weight spread in group of feeder cattle

nw oh
It will not be too much of a problem. We get some started steers from a similar operation from time to time, probably a little bigger groups. It really helps if you keep getting them and the flow so you can always sort them and match them up to sell. We have recieved some 800lb. calfs from this operation and were literaly 550-900 lb calfs. I knew this and were priced right and had cattle in the barn on both spectrums. We just ran them with the bigger cattle and I think I may sort of the smaller ones shortly.

A few other notes: Keep them tagged if you start grouping them together so you can tell if one has been getting sorted back multiple times. You do not want to feed that calf forever. Sometimes you just have to cut your losses.

The feed bunk space is important if you are starting them on silage. If you are using a self feeder or a self feeder type ration a lot less important. Just keeping the bunk or feeder full is more important.

You may not want to hear this but, you may be better off taking them to finish or selling them at 550-600lbs. Maybe it was just the year but. 800 lb holsteins here in Ohio were really discounted compared to 600lb calfs. But, that can all change.

If you can work well with this dairy it will work out very well for you. We have been a lot happier since we started buying directly from growers and dairies. No more dickering back and forth we come together to get a price that works for each of us. It is nice not having to pay a commission

With that said you may want to work something out on poor looking a free martin heifers where you discount them.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)