AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Weight spread in group of feeder cattle
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

mikado
Posted 1/21/2012 20:50 (#2177164)
Subject: Weight spread in group of feeder cattle

SW WI
What amount of difference in weights are you comfortable with for a group of feeder cattle? I know target would be as close to same weight as possible. Here is my scenerio, I have a chance to work with a larger dairy and buy their started holstein steers...about 300 lbs. They obviously calve year round and their flow might be around 25 - 30 hd a month. I would like to put 2 months worth of calves together to get close to 60. That would fit my existing barns (couple of old dairy barns gutted with outside lots) along with a typical open sided livestock building. I may be building something else and looking at pen size and how this would need to flow. I doubt that I would take them all the way to finish, maybe just to 800 lbs. I'm not talking about putting a 300 lb with 800 lbs, but like I said a couple months worth of calves together. I'm thinking the weight spread would be around 100 lbs? I would plan on putting them together after they have been on my farm awhile, not dumping new 300 lb steers with steers that are off and running. Thanks for your thoughts.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)