AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Grazing standing corn in the snow - stage 2 update (pics)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 1/21/2012 00:27 (#2175553 - in reply to #2175485)
Subject: RE: Grazing standing corn in the snow - stage 2 update (pics)

Driftless SW Wisconsin

Bill, my ADG from turn in on corn (after 8 weeks weaning, usually around Christmas or New Year's day) to early April or when they get to the end of the corn is right around 3-3.1 lb/day depending on the steer. Some are in the 2.7-2.8 range other genetics will do 3.2-3.3.  I'm finding some of my cow families do better on grazing corn than others.

2 years ago I was very busy on the road at my day job in the spring and overshot my corn on the last rotation. It was amazing at how quickly the average daily gain slowed once the corn was gone and they were forced to go back and eat mostly stalks and hay. For a top quality beef product it is important to take them right off of grazing corn and to processing.

Variety selection is also a key. It has to stand and be palatable - not one of those varieties that have stalks like tree trunks...  This Legacy variety seems to be very palatable - they eat the cobs and all. I haven't seen a steer spit out a cob since they've been on it this year. The deer are the ones that leave the cobs. I like the steers turning cobs into fertilizer.

Jim at Dawn

Edited by Jim 1/21/2012 00:28
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)