AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Thank God for cold weather -sic cattle
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

wayneNWAR
Posted 1/18/2012 23:14 (#2170849 - in reply to #2170519)
Subject: RE: Thank God for cold weather -sic cattle

north west arkansas
I dont think its just Iowa this beautiful weather has came with a price. I think we have got our cattle back on track, and we were very fortunate they all didnt break. I do feel for you and hope maybe you are getting a handle on them. The two worst things I have ever had with cattle is last year we had cocidiocis that affects the nervous system and 7 or 8 years ago I had rota virus in baby calves. You and I both know you will never forget this but who knows what will stick out in your mind about this experience. I have even joked a little bit about my rota virus experience now even though I last more calves than I ever have to anything. I basically hadn't sleep, shaved or ate in 3 days and the more we doctored the more we lost, and it was 3 am and from doing research on the internet I realized it was dehydration that was actually killing them and not the virus. I found a recipe online of baking soda, pepto bismo, caro syrup, and salt so off to wal mart I went at 3 am. I had a whole cart full of these supplies and as rough as I looked I people looked at me like I was gonna make a bomb or something out of these ingredients. When I had the cocicia last year it was 60 of the wildest pairsI own with 600 pd calves and they were in a 220 acre pasture with no corral at all, and I went thru 250 boluses the first night. I basically worked around the clock for 3 days trying to catch them all, and as hard as it is to believe my wife asked me if I had a girlfriend! I am young guy and I cant even imagine what alot you have seen and had to deal with, and just wish I had half the knowledge alot of you have. Garvo if you ever write that book for adam I sure would enjoy a copy also.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)