AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

MILC payments in February?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Russ In Idaho
Posted 1/18/2012 05:47 (#2168864 - in reply to #2168622)
Subject: RE: MILC payments, my rant for today!

20 dollar milk, $6 corn, hay over $250. Doesn't cut it, with all the debit incurred to survive 09' $10 milk price for over 10 1/2 months. Plus let alone the previous debit people had before 09'.

MILC payments wouldn't even be a band-aid over the wounds that will happen. The last time we got MILC payments, I can't remember was it 09'well, what I got wouldn't even pay the administrative cost for the person at FSA to administer the program. I'm the only dairyman left in my county, guessing it is going to take the FSA tons of hours to run the program in my county now. In 09' they were just over whelmed with only 3 dairymen in the county.

The way they put the feed cost adjuster for the MILC program, they wait til feed costs will go down, then use it to figure when they pay you for milk when costs were way more.

I say get rid off all Gov. payments, quit cold turkey! All crop programs, insurance, feed, you name it everything. Impose export taxes on feedstuffs going to Asia, Arabic countries for those that jack up oil prices for us. It's not right they can set our oil prices, feed prices, then our lovely government comes in and mandate's rules and regulations we can't afford on these low prices for our products.

Unless you live in an area were you own prime farmland and get a big subsidy check for crops or you are using an illegal crop to fund your operation, it is going to be a tough go in the the coming years.

At today's costs of equipment, drugs, inputs, labor, etc. I've got to hand it to all of agriculture WE ARE DOING A GREAT JOB! But we are losing crop land, farmers, it's not looking good, we are less than 2% of the population. We are at a big risk of getting run over. If we could ever change the economic model of being price takers in agriculture instead of being able to be price setters like all the businesses I've got to buy inputs from, it will never change.

It's sad to say but in our line of work, if one segment is doing good in agriculture, the other sides are bleeding because for livestock to do good crop farmers have to take less, it's a no win situation.

I guess it's going to take a famine or deaths of people from tainted food products from other countries to get the U.S. to stand up for agriculture and give the just pay you should receive to stay in business and pay for all these feel good regulations we are going to have to live with production agriculture in the U.S. in the coming years.

It's a system that can never be changed, because somebody is going to have to take losses so another segment can profit. It can never be a even playing field. I guess I'm just bewildered, so tell me whats the answer to all of agriculture's problems? I would so like someone to set me straight. If this person could figure it out, I say run them for president.

But with all these problems I see with our system, I still honored to live in a country where I can come on my computer and make these rants. I thank our founding fore fathers, soldiers that died, everybody that gave me these rights to work, complain about the system without being taken out side and shot and left for dead along side the road.

Guess I'm just looking for answers, I hope everybody has a great day. Nobody gets hurt on the farm, and at the end of the day you can smile with the satisfaction you used your hands to produce something, that you made a difference in this world.

Ok, I'm a big boy go ahead and tell me where I'm a goof-ball I can take it.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)