AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

? for Garvo, or others about bedded barns
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

IL cow man
Posted 1/17/2012 19:45 (#2168024 - in reply to #2167952)
Subject: RE: ? for Garvo, or others about bedded barns

Buffalo IL
I should point out that Garvo's brothers building if you would use industry standards is a 160-200 head building. I believe it was 160 foot long and I'm not sure of the width. At 200 head was $368/ head or at 160 head was $460 per head and is a full concrete floor. Remember he is giving cattle more bunk space and more sq footage per head. He isn't trying to sell a building he is raising cattle and knows more about what works. (in my opinion) The galvanized posts are more expensive and he has rafters which will last longer than a hoop. He should have better air movement than a monoslope. The only thing i might change is to enclose the ends to make the air draw up better and build an elevated ridge cap to protect the center of the rafter. If he was to only put a 12 foot concrete apron by the bunk and a lime pack on the rest it would lower the building cost more. The full concrete will definely work better for clean out and is probably cheaper in 20 years of operation than maintaining a lime pack. Garvo can tell you much better than me and knows more on what works. The industry standards are using .8-1ft of bunk space and 40square feet per head for a deep bedded barn.

Edited by IL cow man 1/17/2012 19:53
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)