AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Which way to Go??
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Piedmont
Posted 1/8/2012 16:41 (#2150174 - in reply to #2150091)
Subject: Re: Which way to Go??

whitehall maryland
Thanks , My head is spinning a bit...let me add a few more variables..being in my location it is virtually impossible to solely graze cows..mostly land availability..also climate..for example this year has been an adventure in mud all year. Currently I run two groups of cows. Group A calve in April to May there are 44 cows in this group. They are kept on 12 acre pasture, limit fed all year, and graze residue when the mud isnt a foot deep. Group B is 50 cows calve in september and have roughly 50 acres of pasture. I have toyed with idea of manageing this group in a modified dry lot such as group a...and placing fall calves on the 50 acres of pasture and marketing in late summer. I am backgrounding my spring calves currently and will look to move them early spring. I have saved some capital and want to expand my cattle side. I raise all my own feed on about 150 acres of good cropland. cant expand cropland enterprise due to lack of available acres..grain guys here are cutthroat and ruthless..I have no time for that nonsense. I own all of my own hay equipment and have my other crops custom raised. I also work full time off the farm and would like eventually farm full time. I had initially considered purchasing more ground but land prices are inflated.I also lost a barn to a fire and need to rebuild. So Im looking for some direction. Maybe I should hire you all as consultants..lol. Thanks. Im new to the beef side of the cattle business being a reformed dairy farmer.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)