AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

new feedtruck pics
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Gerard
Posted 1/8/2012 13:16 (#2149849 - in reply to #2149627)
Subject: Re: new feedtruck pics

Woodham, Ontario
I am part of the second generation on this farm. My parents own the majority and over the years me and my siblings have worked on the farm and built up our share. 10 years ago, when I had finished high school, I didn't have much interest in the farm. Didn't like the cows that much, but helped out in the summer and on weekends anyway. Went to college and univeristy in Toronto. I always liked computers, electronics and equipment. My dad is a cow person, does not like to work on equipment. While going to university, the farm grew steadily. our neighbour didn't want to do fieldwork for us anymore and getting custom planting done properly was hard sometime. My dad asked me if I wanted to do it, but then I would have to commit to it. Computers were not as fantastic as I had thought anyway. So we gave planting corn ourselves a go.
From there I started taking on more jobs that we had previously done for us. The farm grew, more cows, more land, more feed needed, more manure to get rid of. I still don't like working with the cows, but I don't have to. I love doing what I do. My brother loves cows and my sister and her husband want to farm too. We all can do what we enjoy. My dad doesn't do as much on the farm, mostly tells us what we are doing wrong! The farm does well enough that he can do what he likes to do. Everyone would hate to see the farm go. We can hire enough good help that the hours are reasonable and everyone in my family can live a normal life. We also support 7 other families and a few single guys. Why get rid of all of that?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)