AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Is there enough
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

redman66
Posted 1/8/2012 12:53 (#2149817 - in reply to #2148709)
Subject: RE: Is there enough

I'm 24 and have worked on the family farm full time for about 3 yrs. We have a feedlot for cattle but I personally would like to start my own cow/calf enterprise. Currently rent approx 30 acres of pasture and have been getting it in great shape. Probly will buy 3-4 weight calves this spring and background them all summer. Due to the high prices, starting out with cows would be risky if the market dropped. There aren't very many cow calf guys in my area anymore and a lot of pasture has been tore up and turned into farm ground. I think the desire for young guys is there, at least for me and my close friends; the problem is the opportunity. I live in south central Ia and to the south is more pasture and cows but where I am there isn't as much plus there aren't any older guys who want to help us young guys get started. Money is always an issue, but if you'rein it for the life and it's your passion you just got to jump in and give it a try. The other down side is that if a guy doesn't have another job, the small herd a guy had wouldn't be enough to live off of. But it would be something to call your own. Too many guys my age just weren't raised doing chores and working with livestock, so strictly row crop makes sense to them.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)