AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Bad start to the New Year
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Yooperwing
Posted 1/5/2012 08:26 (#2144172 - in reply to #2140599)
Subject: RE: Bad start to the New Year

UP of Michigan- North coast of USA
I feel your anquish. 4th of July night had 42 650 # Holsteins on the loose. Thought perhaps it was the fireworks in a couple of miles away as the fences were all tore up. Got a call from the sheriff at 1:30 am. Took 2 weeks to get them all back. We have lots of woods and swamp up here in the UP. I have some great neighbors that helped. Turned out it was a collared female wolf. She was tracked going thru my pastures that night. Stayed around most of the summer. Could not keep interior fences intact for calves going thru.So much for pasture rotation! Calves were jumpy all summer.Saw her up close on several occaisions. Dnr couldn't do anything other than put flashing lights up around the pasture. Heard a goose hunter shot her this past fall. Hopefully they will be delisted shortly and we can use lethal force if they come after our animals. Neighbor saw a pair in the woods ajacent to my pasture last week. I got a couple of donkeys to perhaps offer some protection come calving time. Going to pick them up on Saturday. I'm glad you got them all back with no casualties. Take care.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)