AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

mistakes and why I like sunlight-pictures today
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

garvo
Posted 1/4/2012 08:36 (#2142227 - in reply to #2141850)
Subject: Re: mistakes and why I like sunlight-pictures today

western iowa,by Denison
Is there anyway you could move the manure bay outside?and move the working aera to a connected building,my reason asking would be that a simple wood truss building for shipping and recieving will not get used that much,and anytime you can get the manure out changes your air quality,perhaps a shipping,recieving barn on one end and a manure bay on the other-if you can get more square feet per animal you will have a little dryer pen pack and reduce your manure handling as that 40 ft bay is very expensive.almost 18% of your building cost or to look at it different-96x240=23,040 sq ft,is 576 head@40sq ft. giving up the 40ftx96 drops you down to 480 head-240 head a pen vs 288 head or to really put in perspective,you could give those same animals(240 head)48 sq ft-now thats when it gets interesting,we all of a sudden gave your cattle 20% more room for 18% cost.
What is really exciting ,now we have more room,less sloppy manure and a little more bunk space/240 ft of bunk space per pen vs 200 or 480ft bunk to 480 head with 48 sq ft vs 400ft bunk,40sq,ft, per animal-
1ft bunkto 1 animal or (8inchs to 1 animal with manure bay and working facility)
So then we come to the question of where you place your waters,gates and etc. also that your pen is 96 ft wide or would there be 4 pens?Have noticed the 36ft wide pens 1 person can easily move cattle,the 46ft wide a little harder,biggest thing I have noticed that moving the cattle in a holding pen lets me rapidly clean the barn,so I move them to the shipping recieving barn and pens,when I go to load the fat cattle they easily go to that pen because they were use to it from cleaning barns. On the gates we have gone to 20ft gates and some up to 24ft,/love the 20ft over the 16ft gates,would seldom ever go less length,have a lot more ideas,I have looked at over 1000 buidings,built 5 and still changing my ideas,yesterday I cleaned out my last barn and just noted a few minor changes to do if I build another one!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)