AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

No-till wheat seeding rates
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

wildcat1
Posted 10/3/2007 23:57 (#214101 - in reply to #214081)
Subject: RE: No-till wheat seeding rates

South Central Kansas
KCIA lab in Manhattan will give you a seed count and about any other analysis you need. Most seed wheat will count 13,000 to 14,000 per lb with Overley being the exception at 10,500 to 12,500 per lb. Most of our wheat this year is running 17,000 to 19,000 seeds per lb because of the April freeze. Never had wheat this small and light since newton in the early 80s.

I carried over some 2006 Overley at 12,100 seed per lb and clean some 2007 certified Overley that counted 17010 seeds perlb. We usually drill 900,000 seed per acre here. With last year's seed, that's 75 lbs per acre, with this year's seed, it's 53 lbs per acre. Both had a 95% germ.

I would drill the lighter smaller seed no more than an inch deep. The larger heavier seed had more stored food to come up from a little deeper.

When I tell my customers to consider seed count when drilling wheat, some of the older guys look at me like I've got two heads. Some of 'em have always planted a bushel, or a bushel and a peck, so by golly that's the way it's gonna be. I usually bump the rate when we get into Novenber and later.

You're right in your comments, if you have good moisture and get the seed placed at the right depth, you should get as good of a stand as drilling tilled ground.

Hope this helps, send samples to or call........

Kansas Crop Improvement Association
2000 Kimball
Manhattan, Kansas 66502

785 532 6118

www.kscrop.org
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)