AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

genomics
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

kylesupplee
Posted 12/30/2011 22:45 (#2133834 - in reply to #2133613)
Subject: Re: genomics

Thompsontown, Pennsylvania
shortly after my wife and i were married last summer, i told her, she could breed a few select animals in the herd for show type, we would merchandise them, as well as the better "commercial" cow families, and eventually take that money to build a pack barn for her "play cows" ( the show type cows).....we have sand freestalls and i agree, with both heeranz and dairymen, show type and freestall barns, particularly larger commercial setups don't mix. It also doesn't surprise me,dairymen about your observation of cows with moderate stature. I like what you are doing, really i do, and have complemented it a couple times, long lasting, well conformed, high component registered holsteins are what we are looking for in the majority of the herd. Show type is a niche market, registered "commercial" cows is a slight niche market as well, something i need in a smaller herd setting. If i can sell a calf at a calf sale or state holstein organization held sale, out of a couple generations of very goods/excellent, with good milk/component records, for twice or three times what she is worth at the sale barn as a common calf, then why not, especially if she is just out of solid cows that score well....doesn't even have to be showy....if i was in the position to expand and my wife didn't have the passion she has for registered cattle, i would be different probly even be breeding for hojo's with the top bulls of other, more freestall friendly breeds, but for me....x number of cows is the max right now so this is the route we go....is kinda nice knowing that we have a consistent herd that scores well (BAA), is trouble free because of it (few f &l problems and no blow bags), and are nice to look at and hopefully as we go forward this will be a step towards prosperity in our own way.
P.s. on a side note, bw marshell is referred to as BAGWOOD marshall here lol....due to all the blowbags he produced when they calved the second time
P.s.s. heeranz you don't need to be mad, i really am not trying to be confrontational, just debating. And as i said, we technically are a genex bred herd....didn't mean to bash your place of employment? maybe? i don't think your an idiot, i drink a little poofytail show cow koolaid, you drink genomic-aid......its all good

Edited by kylesupplee 12/30/2011 22:47
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)