AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

P&K before or after plowing?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Bill Moyer
Posted 10/2/2007 18:46 (#213334 - in reply to #213319)
Subject: Re: P&K before or after plowing?

Coldwater, Michigan
I was wondering what part of the country you were from. I check on blue names in LH corner alot! Not always there, but when it is it is interesting.

We usually plant soft red/white winter wheat in this area. When I ran a retail fertilizer plant for Terra here in Michigan a typical rate on wheat broadcat prior to planting was: 300# of 6-24-24/ 8-32-16/ 9-23-30. Was somewhat dependent on soil test range. A lot of 6-15-40 was sold on sandy ground. Topdressed in spring with 80-100# of N.

For those who didn't fertilize prior to planting, topdress was often done with 22-11-22 @ 300-400#/acre (one shot). At that time wheat was considered a cash flow crop, not a money maker.

Currently, my customers who are on a decent fertility program, use 5-7 gallons of 6-24-6 TMP to start their wheat followed with Nitrogen in the spring. Obviously, the potash and extra Phosphorous have to be made up somewhere in the program. That is usually done with the corn or beans when they are spreading other fertilizer already. The 6-24-6 TMP has a good dose of Zinc and other micros. I like the idea of sulfur at topdress time, either with the 28% N, or with AmSulfate/urea broadcast. I like to double spread the dry to even out the spread pattern ( anything with urea will not spread the full width).

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)