AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

genomics
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Heerenz
Posted 12/30/2011 18:48 (#2133334 - in reply to #2130573)
Subject: Re: genomics

Sunnyside, Washington
Im going to ignore how you choose bulls. thats not what the question is asking. the question is asking about Genomics. You did not prove me wrong I just don’t want to argue about type and what traits you pic for. I have changed my line of thinking I was strictly show ring and type bulls but then i realized its not practical for me and what i now believe in. the best way to determine what a dairy wants to do with their genetic plan. Big statement Genetic Plan. Figure out what is important for your herd. if you want type then search bulls for type. if you want milk CFP and UDC then breed for that. Personally how i would choice a genetic plan i would go 40%-MILK 10%-CFP 15%-FLC 15%-UDC 10%-DPR 10%PL. find a group of 5 genomic bulls that are going to fit to the genetic plan. With those 5 genomic bulls there is going to be a 90% reliability. Stick with the group and switch them up at next proof round. Its science go ahead try and prove science wrong it wont happen. i have got hard factual data to back what i have stated. When I say "outcross" I am referring to bulls in the Holstein industry such as. Toystory, Marion, Elegant, AltaZesty. they may not have the top GTPI in the industry but have different blood lines to be sires of sires. as far as price I am not the guy to set any such price. There is room for all types of cattle in this country if you want to have a top BAA herd then I’m happy for you and congrats. If you want to win WDE go for it that’s awesome but those cattle that are sold for such reasons consist of around 1% of the cows in the country. For those other 99% of cows and commercial guys. Genomics is the right thing to do just another stepping stone for the progressive and successful dairymen.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)