AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

genomics
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Heerenz
Posted 12/30/2011 15:33 (#2133020 - in reply to #2130573)
Subject: Re: genomics

Sunnyside, Washington
Im sorry I was a very young guy in the 1990’s. Would you agree that technology is and always still changing? Guys that adapt to the technology will stay up with it and change with it. Genetic trend now is going to change dramatically when we reach 2020. I saw 2020 because the base changes every 5 years. The last change was 2010 with genomics being used its going to have a little change in the base change for 2015 but when 2020 base change comes out its going to be astronomical. Agree or disagree it don’t bother me. Im just saying how I see it. I do feel that genomics are changing the way studs choice bulls. Its going to be easier bring in out cross sires and bring in different cow families to maximizes less line/in breeding which ever you prefer to call it. As far as cost. Do you realize the amount of bulls that one stud in particular I know of test? 3000+ does that come free? With price comes a lot of things not just semen as what you are assuming on right now! It comes down to service and technology. I would compare semen to milk. A consumer of milk just sees the milk and pays the price. Does a majority of the consumers understand what happens behind the scenes of making that milk NO! very similar to semen there is a tremendous behind the scenes of the sales rep that cost of semen deals with. It’s a fair argument. Genex is picks genomic bulls and goes after commercial dairies because those commercial dairies basically consist of 99% of the cows. Other studs have not adapted and focus more on type. On a commercial dairy what does type do for you? Does a 4.00 type bull make a commercial dairy any more money than a 2.00 type bull? It comes down to how studs select bulls.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)