AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

House Windows?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

ericjeeper
Posted 10/18/2011 10:16 (#2008988 - in reply to #2007589)
Subject: RE: House Windows?

Ok I am not here to try and sell anyone windows or doors. Just going to throw out my two cents as to what makes a good long lasting window. Most important part of the window is the glass unit, Mainly the spacer system used between the glass panes.Most large window companies like Anderson and Pella are still using the PPG intercept spacer. Why? Because it is cheap and is easily formed and processed down the line. That is the only pro to it. The Piece starts out as a straight stick of metal. Computer tells the machine where to cut it and bend it for the corners. It can also be punched for the grid locations. Final assembly is a screw to hold it together to make a square or rectangle shape. It is then hung and sent down the line where the glue is applied and the placed onto the glass and the next glass is laid on top of it, then it goes through some sort of either rollers or a press to complete the assembly. Lets go back and discuss this screw. Ever had a screw in a rubber tire? Does it ever leak? Ok sure is does.
A large glass company with a plant in northern Indiana called Cardinal Glass makes glass packs,IG units, for many manufacturers of windows around the midwest. They use a stainless steel spacer system. I toured their plant this spring. It was asked by one of the dealers in my group. What their seal failure rate was. The man said. "Our publicized seal failer rate is .25%" ok that sounds pretty good.. till one does the math. .25% of 1,000,000 units is 2500. They manufacture 3 million units a year up there. That is 7500 failures they are sending out the door.
The best spacer system on the market by far is the "Super Spacer" Manufactured by Edgetech. It is a foam type material that comes in a roll,this is the reason the big manufacturers do not use it,. It is very labor intensive to apply to the glass . Has to be done by hand,one IG unit at a time. Best part is there are no screws.. The make up of the super spacer is non conductive to heat and cold. Plus it is soft and will stop sound from coming through the window much better.
I asked the rep from Edgetech what their advertised seal failure rate is.. He replied " our seal failure rate is .0003284" Ok so out of every 1,000,000 windows only 3.2 are going to fail..
The only reason the big boys do not all use it, COST. it is very labor intensive.
So no matter whose window you choose imho, look for the best,most efficient,Longest lasting spacer system in the glass pack.
Ok I will get down off of my soap box and go back to work.
yeah I know I never mentioned a good window manufacture for you. There are many good ones and twice as many bad ones. But I recommend buying from a local contractor that you feel like you can trust to stand behind his product. If you have kids or grandkids in 4H and they have sold livestock in the sale at the fair. See if any of the big box stores have supported the sale.I doubt it but odds are a local window contractor has.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)