AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Question for Jim@Dawn.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 8/28/2007 23:16 (#194869 - in reply to #194677)
Subject: RE: Question for Jim@Dawn.

Driftless SW Wisconsin

Garth,

We at Dawn and at least four other companies I can think of both in North America and Europe have tried to come up with a row cleaner system for a 750 drill.

In fact I was asked tha question this afternoon at the Farm Progress Show by a farmer visiting from Paraguay. Seems they plant various crops into wheat stubble and feel they would get a better stand with some row cleaning.

Unfortunately none of us has produced (as far as I am aware) an effective and economically feasible row cleaning system for the 750 thru 1890 series of JD drills. There are some aspects of the 750 design which make it impossible to do what needs to be done to make an effective row cleaner for this 7.5" and 10" drill.

There was someone from Switzerland I believe who even devised a system using wheels that looked like big gears as row cleaners. This was shown at the Agritechnica Show in Hannover Germany a couple years ago. Row cleaning is even more of an issue in Europe where they are often planting the next crop into 100 bu plus wheat straw. But I don't believe this design really ever made production for some reason(s).

I think most companies in the row cleaner business have thrown in the towel on row cleaners for a 750 family drill.  JD and Case have made some drills with planter row units under drill boxes. We have successfully equipped a number of these on 15" spacing. However effective and affordable row cleaners on a true 750 just don't seem to be in the cards. Wish I had better news.

Regards,

Jim at Dawn

Edited by Jim 8/28/2007 23:18
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)