AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Headline Damage to corn
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Chem Man
Posted 8/11/2007 12:08 (#185887 - in reply to #185815)
Subject: RE: Headline Damage to corn

In reply to most of these questions and comments I will do the best I can. The damage is not physical damage from the machine first. Second, Rule one with fungicides and this is for all but Quilt, adjuvants like oil and nis slow the evaporation rate down and greatly improve canopy penetration. Rule always is OIL by AIR, NIS by ground. Third, Dave is right about the aphids we have saw this in several fields and do agree but the early applications seem to be the culprit. In which case headline is basically labeled from emergence to brown silk. We have sprayed knee high corn and never had issues. Fourth the liquid nitrogen products have also had the finger pointed at them. Personally we used no coron, it is only 20% CRN, for 2 bucks an acre more you can buy KQ which is 70% CRN. We used it on 5 or 6 loads by air with good results. I have not seen the coron/headline damaged fields but know there are several in my area. I had several customers apply by ground and some applied very early. We used a NIS/Oil blend called trophy gold at 2-4 ozs per acre both air and ground. Our cornbelt rep said it would be fine either way. I should probably not post this but these horror stories have many things in common, sprayers on 15 inch centers, applied 2+ leaves before tassel, coron mixed with an adjuvant, and the most common adjuvant with problems are Drexel's oil and nis. Not pointing the finger at Drexel but there are many fields that have it in common. Maybe to many to be coincidence. Almost forgot we left all adjuvants out when using liquid nitrogen products not sure if that was why we had no problems or not. Still researching will post more when more is known. For those of you who applied by ground and had any 1 of the things I mentioned above get out there scout, and contact your BASF rep. ASAP if you see problems. Get on the list becasue it is getting longer by the day. They are well aware of the situation and hopefully will help remedy these situations.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)