AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Is this Price Fixing?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

seedsguy
Posted 7/30/2007 08:58 (#180349 - in reply to #179773)
Subject: RE: So what's the problem?

Ron,
Why not just fing a dealer/rep that you feel you can trust and that sells the "value" you need and support that person/company? Value can be described in many ways. I understand where some of the guys here (seed and retailers) are coming from as I have spent most of my life in those areas. I also own and farm some ground as well so I understand not wanting to be told what to do. I will say this though if you feel like you understand all the things that involve growing a crop and getting the maximum economic profit all by yourself without any help then you are letting $$ slip thru your wallet. That is where the "value" these guys talk about is coming from.

Being a farm boy and working with farmers has taught me that the ones that are willing to find a trusting partner in their operation that will give them good advice make more money (bottom line profit) than the rest. That person can be a retailer, independent consultant, seed person etc. The problem I see in farming today is it has been such an independent way of life for so long that doesn't accept change very well that at times we all leave $$ on the table because something is cheaper and we don't want to change the way we think/believe and do things. We have been taught over many generations to save our way to prosperity well in todays ag world that formula doesn't work anymore. You have to drive for maximum economic output and focus on marketing that product for the most $$ you can. That is where having people you can trust help you and you can make some big $$ if you will trust them. My father and uncles struggle with these things every yr and thats why a couple of my cousins who focus on growing more and marketing it well kick the hell out of them every yr on per acre/profit. My cousing focus on letting someone help them with decisions they don't understand or keep abreast of so they can focus on the things they do understand very well. 20 bushels of extra yield with little or no extra cost adds a bunch to the bottom line even in yrs with $2 corn imagine what that makes in $3 or $4 corn. That is where you need to focus not so much on the cheapest program.

Now I am not saying take the highest price but look at the best value. What if your coop guy is $10 a ton higher on NH3, DAP, Potash but he catches a field of cutworm or RW beetles that if left untreated could cost you 30 or 40 bushels? Is that not worth the $10 bucks a ton? That same scneario could be your seed dealer costing you $10 a bag more but does the same thing. If you pay more you should expect it to impact your bottom line thru more profits.
My two cents
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)