AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

New calf and curious observers (pics)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 4/10/2011 00:01 (#1716979)
Subject: New calf and curious observers (pics)

Driftless SW Wisconsin

I stopped on my way back from Nebraska today to check on my cattle, put out some hay, limit the grazing area for the bulls, fix some old fence damaged by the snow plowed onto it (and finally accessible) and give the cows a grain treat.

Last thing was the grain treat for the cows. I went down to the corral around 6 pm and was surprised to see one of my registered heifers had evidently just calved this afternoon while I was in another field fixing the fence. This one was not supposed to calve for a week or two yet.

This is a Schu-Lar heifer I bought as bred that is not much to look at but she sure knows how to have a first calf. I think its a heifer calf but wanted to leave them alone. Calf just got up and nursed colostrum as she was being cleaned.

It was funny to watch some of the other new calves take a break from their running around the calving pasture and come over as a group to see what all the fuss was about. Here are a couple pictures.

We have also talked about repairing an old fence. I took a picture of the 9" Premier standoffs I use to keep the cattle back from this very old fence. I just pushed the t posts back upright, tightened and replaced a bit of the old barb wire and added this very hot wire on the inside to keep the cattle back.  Works very well so far on the cattle side. I am impressed by these big Premier standoffs.

Unfortunately the hot wire doesn't keep the town snowplow from pushing the masssive amount of snow we had this past winter back into the fence from the road side.  I guess I should be thankful we have a concientious town snow plow driver!

FWIW.

Jim at Dawn

Edited by Jim 4/10/2011 00:13

(IMG_3323_Schu-Lar Heifer 24 with new calf and observer 040911.JPG)

(IMG_3325_24 and new heifer calf and the peanut gallery come to see whats up.jpg)

(IMG_3304_9 in Premier standoffs to keep cattle back from old fence.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_3323_Schu-Lar Heifer 24 with new calf and observer 040911.JPG (80KB - 124 downloads)
Attachments IMG_3325_24 and new heifer calf and the peanut gallery come to see whats up.jpg (69KB - 121 downloads)
Attachments IMG_3304_9 in Premier standoffs to keep cattle back from old fence.jpg (114KB - 120 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)