AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Possible orphaned calf. Suggestions?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

proud2Bafarmer
Posted 3/8/2011 09:14 (#1657536)
Subject: Possible orphaned calf. Suggestions?

Baldwin City, KS
I sold some of my slaughter cows that I had been feeding out, yesterday. Six of the cows still had calves on them that I felt were a little small to wean early, 30 days ago. I thought I had things paired up right and kept the right six cows back, but this morning, I see that there is a 250# calf out there bawling around.
These calves have been coming up to the bunk and eating a little silage/DDG with the cows, so I think they have an idea what feed is, and there is some cows in there that he could rob milk off of if the cow lets him. I would like to just leave him in there and see how things go, but being he is a lighter calf than I'm used to weaning, so I have some concern.
I have another pen of calves that are 30 days weaned, but they only have a couple of days before I will get them off of starter ration and go to silage/DDG. As far as I can see, it's half one way/six the other, whether he stays with the cows or goes in with the other calves. Either way, it looks like momma might have went down the road. What do you guys think? Thanks.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)