AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Implement Steering PICs
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

dlver
Posted 6/16/2007 22:02 (#163258)
Subject: Implement Steering PICs

Boyden, Iowa Sioux County
In the posts below of "Jim, others, strip till and planter configurations" I referred to pictures of implement steering results, here they are.

Picture AB-Curve84 shows the first and second pass along the corn field. The first 16 is my AB curve line that is parallel to the terrace on the right edge of the picture. If you count 16 rows over from the corn you will see the guess row. After taking these pictures I see that I should have flagged the guess row in each picture for reference.

Picture Curve85 shows the general nature of the curve and the slope is from right to left, there is a guess row in this picture.

Picture Curve86 shows the general curve again in a closeup, again there is a guess row in the picture.

Picture TerraceTopPlanterFlexing88 shows the guess row on the top of the terrace. This row is approx. 27 inches wide because the pass on the right is in the bottom of the terrace. My 16 row flexes between the outside 4 and center 8 rows, at this point I measured that row and it measures 33 inches which explains the 27 inch guess row. The two flags are each measured from the center of the planter pass to the left and the right, there is about a 3/4 inch difference here. That would be within the +/- 1 inch of RTK.

Picture Curve89 is again the general nature of the curve and slope, there is a terrace 32 rows below the corn on the right.

Picture Straight91 shows the guess row as it comes into slanted endrows below a terrace.

Picture Tight Curve BelowTerrace92 shows the last pass that I made before lifting the planter and making some endrows. You can see the terrace that I was planting parallel to. That is the same corn field as in the first picture going in the opposite direction. The AB curve line is along the corn and this is the third and final pass using that line at this point.

The planter used is a 1720 JD stackfold with lift assist wheels, pulled by a JD 7920. I used to have the sway blocks on the 3 point as tight as I could get them to try and control where it planted and then drive it with a camera system to see (sense) where the ridge and now the strip is. If you remember cultivating with the old Cultivision mirrors you get an idea what that was like.

This year I had disked out the corn rows last Fall since I still had a little bit of a ridge from cultivating once to apply N sidedressed. When I planted with the Trimble AutoPilot RTK with TrueTracker Implement Steer I took the sway block completely out to allow as much movement as possible in the hitch. I also did not use the markers at all, I think with the longer markers there is some side draft also.

(AB-Curve84.jpg)

(Curve85.jpg)

(Curve86.jpg)

(TerraceTopPlanterFlexing88.jpg)

(Curve89.jpg)

(Straight91.jpg)

(TightCurveBelowTerrace92.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments AB-Curve84.jpg (95KB - 248 downloads)
Attachments Curve85.jpg (86KB - 247 downloads)
Attachments Curve86.jpg (100KB - 242 downloads)
Attachments TerraceTopPlanterFlexing88.jpg (111KB - 233 downloads)
Attachments Curve89.jpg (80KB - 238 downloads)
Attachments Straight91.jpg (115KB - 246 downloads)
Attachments TightCurveBelowTerrace92.jpg (102KB - 257 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)