AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Jim, others, strip till and planter configurations
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

mshooty
Posted 6/16/2007 12:21 (#163095 - in reply to #162915)
Subject: Re: Jim, others, strip till and planter configurations

Sioux County, IA
Hi Jim,

I'll have to take some time to dissect all of your post. If I read between the lines, I see you saying that a coulter type strip system, such as the Pluribus, could potentially have more forgiveness than a shank style? From our experience we are not at all displeased with our knife system. Even where the corn is off the strip, we do get a stand, and the color of the corn indicates that we are getting roots to the fertilizer. Our decision on this is tough in that we are not deciding between good and bad, we are choosing between better and best. I do like the looks of your Pluribus units. I lean towards shanks style units mainly for deeper placement of the fertilizer band, but you guys do have a great system.

We are currently running your 1572 coulter combo on the planter. Love the units. I have debated whether a floating style row cleaner would be better in this system, mainly from the standpoint of maintaining consistent ground contact, but your combo units are indeed top of the line. On the fertilizer issue, we are looking at a 2X2 band as a replacement to a broadcast app. of a 28 mixture. The purpose of that app has been to aid residue breakdown as well as supply nutrients. We get nice response from that app., but broadcast is very inefficient, and we are debating the importance of residue breakdown as it applies to our system. We clear the strip and let the stalks decay all year, not sure that a breakdown aiding application is really necessary. Let's say we wanted to stay with the 1572's, any options for combining fertilizer with those without drastic changes?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)