AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

manure sand seperator ?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

J,ReinkeFarms
Posted 2/14/2011 15:58 (#1613901 - in reply to #1613815)
Subject: RE: manure sand seperator ?

I don’t have any experience with a mechanical sand separator but I have designed a two sand settling lanes and ponds for dairy farms. These were in Michigan though. Both farms plan to reuse the sand one currently does but the other hasn’t been in long enough. The one that does windrows the sand and turns it each week for 5 weeks in the summer and piles it to be reused.

The first operation uses a flush system with a sump and theirs basically runs over a 300 foot long concrete lane before it dumps into a 1.3milllion gallon settling pond then gets pumped into their holding ponds.

Second one is 80 feet wide, 450 feet long, earth lined, basically a 12 million gallon pond long skinny pond before the 40 million gallon holding pond. They also have a flush system. Has not been in service for a year yet so I don’t know what type of bad stuff is going to happen when the sand gets up to the level of the inlet pipe. If it will keep pushing water through or if they will have to clean a path through it to keep it flowing.

Using gravity you will never get all the sand out, it will fall out according to grain size and the longer the flow through time the more sand will come out. A lot of waste water treatment systems for municipalities work this way.

Not sure if that answers anything for you. I know there are mechanical units out there that are handier and fit in a lot smaller area, I just don't have experience with them.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)