AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Hail on 1 foot corn How much can it take?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

notilltom
Posted 6/11/2007 18:45 (#161175 - in reply to #161068)
Subject: RE: Hail on 1 foot corn How much can it take?

Oswald No-Till Farm Cleghorn, IA
Greetings,

A number of years ago, when I was selling Pioneer, there was a nasty hail event in my sales area. The hail wasn't round, it was like shards. It was a tough deal to be sure. Memories of this are what help me write the checks for corn hail insurance.

There was signficant plant/stand loss as those shards penetrated the stalk and killed the growing point. Those stands declined such that many fields were replanted to beans and some even to corn. As others have said, often the leaf loss at this stage is ugly but actual yield loss is "tolerable". With both corn and beans, one thing I remember from the agronomists who I have spent time with in hail situations is the value of the stand one has. That value is "time" invested in the root system as well as the above ground portions of the surviving plants. When one tears up the crop for replant, that is lost.

As for mowing, I have heard that as well... once was in relation to a freak radiation freeze this time of year. Some mowed to remove the dead tissue but found it really didn't help much in the end. Really, some good windy days seems to help as much as anything. I wish you well as you watch the plants recover.

Good Luck
Tom

Edited by notilltom 6/11/2007 18:46
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)