AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Bulk Seed (Some Sources Better Than Others)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Stoner
Posted 6/7/2007 11:20 (#159653)
Subject: Bulk Seed (Some Sources Better Than Others)

I had purchased seed from Main Street Seed & Supply Co. I planted corn, peas, okra, eggplant, squash, cantaloupe, and watermelon. The peas, okra, eggplant, and squash did not germinate and did not get the first plant. The corn came up sporadic at best; I would venture I had less then 50% germination. The watermelon did better I would say I had about 80% germination. I do not know what was wrong with the seed. I planted it like I normally do each year. On the larger quantities of seed I use my Covington single row planter. On the smaller quantities of seed I planted by hand. I used the Rainbird sprinklers to make sure they got enough water and I fertilized the soil around the seed. No fertilizer was on top of the seed. Sent a letter to Main Street Seed and Supply Co. and they apologized but nothing else beyond that. I have attached their note that they sent back to me. I cannot say I am ticked, unfortunately that what you expect in customer service now days. I will look for a better and more reliable source for my bulk vegetable seed.

“Sorry to hear you are disappointed. Be assured the Dept of Agriculture regulates the seed. The seed needs to be tested for germination and this test is good for one year. If any seed is left after a year, the seed can be retested and a new label must be put on the seeds. I don't believe we have any seeds below a 78% germination rate and they are all within the year time frame. If you have any seed left, you may have it tested and if there is a discrepancy, we would be glad to refund your money.

Thank you,

Ella Schwannecke
1-866-229-3276
Main Street Seed and Supply Co”

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)