AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

My 66' Chevelle
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Jon Hagen
Posted 1/15/2011 16:12 (#1550916 - in reply to #1550811)
Subject: Re: My 66' Chevelle

Hagen Brothers farms,Goodrich ND
The 3 spd with a 396 has to be a rare option.
One interesting tidbit I ran into in 65-66 GM's with the HD 3 spd. GM's Saginaw division had switched to the new all syncro 3 speed in 65, the problem was that the early all syncro 3 spd was a light duty unit that would not take the torque of a big block engine. Until GM Saginaw got the HD all syncro 3 spd in production, some / all ?? of the 3 spd HD big block cars in 65-66,came with a Ford top loader HD 3 spd installed. They had a special case that had the GM / Chevy case bolt pattern and Chevy style input shaft so they bolted to a GM clutch and bell housing. The tail housing, rear mount and driveshaft yoke was Ford. I bought several of those odd GM / Ford 3 speed trans from salvage yards to use in my dirt track race cars back in the 70's and 80's.
Maybe the only time you could buy a GM car with a factory installed Ford transmission.
When desperate, they will share parts, just like mid 70's Chryslers with GM power steering/ steering columns and Ford's with GM AC pumps and carbs.

EDIT: one of several blurbs about the Ford / GM trans mix I found on Google.
"George, I did a little digging.

Some info(not gospel)
For GTO's & Firebirds. The trans, if you got a 4 speed was a Muncie. Saginaw would NEVER stand up to the torque. If you wanted a heavy duty 4 speed you got the M22 Muncie rock crusher. Surprisingly, the M22 wasn't even the STRONGEST trans in a Ponch. The strongest unbreakable trans Pontiac used was their 3 speed. And many GTOS came with 3 speeds. The 3 speed was made in Dearborn Michigan...aka Ford Motor Company. It was identical to Ford's unbreakable 4 speed Top Loader transmission minus one gear. Pontiac used Ford 3 speeds right up to the 1969-71 Judge.

I believe the order code for the Toploader 3 Speed Manual was M13 with the following ratio's 2.42:1 1.61:1 1.00:1 Reverse 2.33:1 "

Edited by Jon Hagen 1/15/2011 16:29
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)