AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Hay yields in Ohio?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Scott (OSU)
Posted 5/27/2007 09:15 (#154858 - in reply to #154657)
Subject: RE: Hay yields in Ohio?

Dalton, OH
Our hay yields are down in the pure alfalfa fields, right around 50% of normal, but the quality is impressive where there aren't any weeds. The 500 acres of pure alfalfa we chopped on Monday and Tuesday yielded about 1 dry ton per acre. I can't wait to see the test results on the analysis though. I've also been baling and wrapping a bunch. I can't keep the stuff around. The hay market is quite good if you have hay to sell. I have about 150 acres of mixed 1st cutting to go dry for horses, dry cows, heifers and it looks like it will yield pretty good. It did 4+ tons per acre last year. I'm hoping for 3 this year. I think if we get some rain the second cutting should be pretty decent. I did put some corn in behind some ofthe hay we chopped and I may put some beans in if I see some of the second not regrowing very well.

As far as the rain, we got 7 tenths yesterday in Wayne County, but nothing where we really needed it in Delaware. I guess thats the good part of being spread out, it also spreads your weather risk out.

Have fun making hay!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)