AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Outback A=B lines
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

John Burns
Posted 5/26/2007 16:54 (#154634 - in reply to #153845)
Subject: Baseline

Pittsburg, Kansas

We used the Baseline on one planter tractor this spring and we have the S2 antenna mounted on the nose of the tractor. I would say we had good results but we are all A-B. We do have lots of terraces on the ground we rented in the last couple years and going over them does cause some narrowing/widening of the guess row with a fully mounted planter but I'm not sure it is much worse than what I would do as an operator over a 12-16 hour day. I might be able to do better over the terraces for a shorter period. It was not bad enough to worry about or quit using it - maybe I'm just not as particular as some. I think being on the nose and closer to the ground as opposed to on the roof of the cab does help considerably. Not sure over the trerraces would have been acceptable if we would have had the antenna on the roof. On the other hand I think it would have been fine on our pull type planter with a long tongue. We have used eDrive autosteer with WAAS for I think 4 years now for seeding with the grain drill (wheat) and we have noticed that long tongue implements take out the little "wiggle" from steering corrections where close coupled implements tend to show these more. When the crop gets up six inches or so neither shows up much.

On the other planter tractor we just used an S2 lightbar to assist the operator with the markers. Keeps him from getting a big dog leg in the field or even gradual S curves. Is a great help at night when the marker mark can only be distinguished 10-25% of the time. Have to shift track once in a while if the markers are not set exactly right with the width in the S2 but there are nights we would have had to quit planting without it - ground was wet and color and conditions just made it impossible to see the mark all the time.

I wish we would have put another rover in that tractor and used the Baseline but at the time the Baseline was new to us, not sure how we would like it and not sure how much we would have both planters in nearby fields (and rovers ain't cheap!). As it turned out with the wet spring we were always looking for dry enough fileds to work and the planters ended up together a lot more than I envisioned so both could have used the one Baseline base unit a lot - hindsite. It will have a rover next year. The big deal with the Baseline is not the absolute accuracy with me - our operators can plant good enough to get the combine down the rows. It's the reduction of the operator fatigue. I have had three back operations and have to be careful of how much tractor seat time I get to make sure there is not a fourth. Doctor told me he didn't want to see me in the operating room again - the next time wouldn't be pretty. Even seriously thought about getting out of farming back a few years. The Baseline freed me up from the single straight up setting powition of watching the marker and made it a lot better and easier for me to run longer hours than I could have otherwise.

I have planted corn with the S2 (WAAS) and eDrive only without the Baseline and came up with the same conclusion I have always told all my potential customers (two of my employes sell Outbacks - I try to stay out of it), that WAAS is not suitable for row crop planting. About 70-80% of the time it was acceptable - then all of the sudden the guess row would be wide or narrow by a foot. Maybe only once in an hour or maybe several times in a row - it was unpredictable. If I broke a marker off I sure would have no problem finishing the day with it though or maybe even a few days instead of shutting down and loosing planting time. Having said that though we have planted literally thousands of acres, as have many of my customers, of double crop beans in wheat stubble with either just a light bar or eDrive autosteer on WAAS. Running 15 or 20" planters they are more like a grain drill and time is of the essence and most people don't care if the guess row is picture perfect like on corn. They might set the lightbar width to 6"less than actual planting width but we don't. A LOT of non-corn stuff has been planted with WAAS down here - although I would never tell someone it was good enough to do so.

John

Edited by John Burns 5/26/2007 17:25
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)