AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

how USDA gets its numbers....
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Eric SW MO
Posted 5/26/2007 11:39 (#154544)
Subject: how USDA gets its numbers....

Southwest MO
Had someone from USDA come by the other day, we had been selected at randem to do a wheat yeild estimate on our farm. They already knew which field they wanted from farm maps and they had instructions to put a post in one corner, then go so many feet in a certain direction and make a yield determination in that spot.

This field will probably make about 25 bu due to freeze damage, half our wheat looks like this field the other half will only make 10-15 bu. We asked him if they take into account the other fields that wont make as much, he said no, they take the yield there and apply it to all our acres to estimate production.

Told our neighbor about it, he said last year they did it on his farm. Instructions told USDA man to put post in corner of field and go so many feet in certain direction, which put him smack dab in the middle of a field drive, nothing but grass there. Neighbor asked the guy if he wanted to go a different direction so he was acctually in a field. No said the USDA man, these are my instructions so thats what I have to do. I will just put down "0" as a yield here.

No wonder USDA numbers are so screwy............
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)