AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Jury Duty this week
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

kagen
Posted 1/3/2011 18:09 (#1524284 - in reply to #1523868)
Subject: RE: Jury Duty this week

Panhandle of Ne.
I have been called several times and served once. The time I served, we went through the entire trial, all the jurors were convinced the person was guilty, but the DA had written the charges incorrectly, in this case it should have said kicked and hit the police officer as the person was being chargedwith, but the DA had only written kicked in the court documents. We sent a letter to the judge and asked him if we had to follow what the DA had written and he said yes. Therefore, we had to find him not guilty. The DA later sent all the jurors a letter aplogizing for his oversight and said that he had time to change the wording but didn't. Really pissed me off.

This last time, was in the jury selection in a case where a jerk had shaken his baby boy so hard the baby had permanent brain damage and he was pleading not guilty. They questioned all the prospective jurors individually asking us if we could remain unbiased in this case. When they got to me, I looked straight at the judge and said I would try to but couldn't guarantee anything. The defense lawyer then asked me why and I told him very sternly that there wasn't much contest between a grown man and an innocent, defenseless, infant child. The judge thanked me several times for my honesty and released me from duty. When they finally sat the jury, it didn't take long for them to convict the jerk.

When we are not in our busy season, I don't mind at all and if we are I will still do the best job I can because I beleive in this country knowing all the time it is far from perfect but still the best place in the world.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)