AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Car insurance,possible totalled car question
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

jfg5
Posted 12/13/2010 15:01 (#1483797 - in reply to #1483324)
Subject: RE: Car insurance,possible totalled car question

The measure of damages will be the lesser of the following: 1) the cost to repair or 2) the reduction in value before vs after the occurrence. In the latter, it is fair for the insurer to consider the salvage value of the wrecked car. NADA or other car value services are used to determine the value before the incident. If the second scenario applies, I'd take the position that the retail value should be considered ( rather than wholesale) because she more likely than not will need to pay retail to purchase the replacement. The insurer may take the position the wholesale is the more appropriate evaluation. I believe those NADA type services give you a value range.....the variables relate to the prewreck condition of the vehicle. If the cost to repair is greater than what the car was worth before the wreck, you'd be looking at the latter value scenario. I would doubt that the agent will be involved in the value decions. The claims department gets to do that stuff. Agents are just involved in sales. Car towing and rental car expenses may also be a part of her claim depending on the expenses incurred and how the policy reads.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)