AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Iowa DNR & peroxide use in water for church.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

J,ReinkeFarms
Posted 12/13/2010 11:22 (#1483498 - in reply to #1483144)
Subject: RE: Iowa DNR & peroxide use in water for church.

The rotten egg smell may go away if you take the sacrificial anode rod out of the hot water heater and replace it with a pipe plug. I can’t remember how it all works with gas and bacteria and sulfur smell, but chances are it will go away. If you google it I know it’s on there. Without the rod it’s supposed to shorten the life of your hot water heater but my parents have had theirs out for 25+ years now with no problems.

If you don’t want to take the rod out you can get a different type of metal or a powered rod but those can run a few hundred. I’d take the existing rod out to see if it changes anything before purchasing a different rod.

As for the orange/red I’m guessing you have high iron like all the deep wells around here. Look into a commercial water softener and buy the rust remover salt. Look at people that are local. We have one from Elco water that only recharges based on the water used, so only costs as much to run as you use it and doesn’t recharge all the time for no reason.
Other than that I agree with the drag your heels and look for alternatives approach.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)