AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Lunch time learning.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Jon S
Posted 11/10/2010 18:24 (#1430083)
Subject: Lunch time learning.

I was recently asked to speak at our local elementary school to 4th and 5th grade students about my farming enterprise. Our children's school has a program called "Lunch time learning" which invites parents or members of the community to speak about their occupation. I went yesterday, with PowerPoint presentation in hand, and spoke to about 40 kids and a few curious staff members. I've done quite a bit of public speaking and I must say that this was the most pleasurable experience to date. My presentation started with the our Turkey enterprise. I documented how we raise Turkeys from day one to 13 weeks. Many of you have probably seen the pictures. I then showed pictures of us cleaning our barns and spreading manure. I even showed how the EZ-Guide system works for us...which the kids really seemed to be interested in. It's very interesting that one child asked if the manure gets into the food (grain). I tried to explain the chemistry or N,P,K cycles, but I'm pretty sure I was quickly losing them with that explanation. So then I explained how we grow Corn, Soybeans, Wheat, Hay and Sod. I had lots of pictures of planting, spraying, cultivating, and harvesting. I was pretty impressed by the type and amount of questions by these kids. I did ask (at the beginning of the presentation) where they think that our food comes from. There were a few in both groups that thought is came from the grocery store. lol.

One really funny thing that was reoccurring: The kids kept asking how much does that cost...referring to the various pictures of farm equipment.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)