AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Major Gas utility easement
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Ray (ecks)
Posted 11/8/2010 10:02 (#1427015 - in reply to #1426676)
Subject: RE: Major Gas utility easement

You are right it is "a" location. The fact that it is a government requirement for them to do has no bearing on you, that's their problem, not yours. He is just using that statement to try and get some sympathy from you. As far as I am concerned gas companies are some of the lowest scum we've ever had to deal with, they will lie, cheat, steal and do anything else possible to get what they want...on second thought that just about covers any utility or government entity that we've had to deal with.

I assume they already have an easement for the line. How wide? How big is this new easement going to be and what kind of restrictions will it impose on you? Temporary construction easement? Size of permanent easement? Access, how often, damages to crop?

One thing we insist on anymore, net wire fence is built on the temporary easement BEFORE anything, I repeat, before anything is done on the property. Doesn't matter if livestock are involved or not. This keeps contractors where they are supposed to be, keeps their lunch trash from blowing all over your field etc. We've found a lot of temporary easements are not big enough for the contractor to do his job easily, they whine to us that they can't do such and such, we just tell them that's what the engineer showed and that's what you bid so live with it. Just this fall had a contractor asked to move the corner post for a permanent fence back a foot onto our property because the telephone line was too close to allow him to dig with a mechanical digger, we said nope, corner post goes on the property line, if the telephone line is there then get out the shovels. Actually my son used another descriptive term for the shovel.

Final thing when they are completely done, they can remove the fence. We will sometimes offer to remove the fence for the materials, if you have a use for fencing materials it's worth your time to do it, they will just trash it. Speaking of fences, it doesn't sound like there is one there, but around "here" the favorite thing for permanent fences that go back in after easements is to set them one foot back from the property line. Of course that doesn't fly with us. Had one engineer told me that the one foot setback was "just in case" the surveyors don't have the property line staked on the exact location. My response to him was that he better get some new surveyors.

Number one thing to remember is this will be there FOREVER and a day. It will restrict your ability to use the land as long as you own it and it will be there if you ever decide to sell it.

As for simple math, most easements around here pay 75% of the value of the ground plus damages. Hard to know what the damages might be until we know more about it.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)