AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Thinking Out Loud
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Pat H
Posted 10/28/2010 08:47 (#1411496 - in reply to #1411327)
Subject: Re: Thinking Out Loud

The problem with exports is that we are now a 'service economy'. We don't make anything except grain and meat. Pretty much the rest of the stuff no one wants. If GM can't sell a car in the US - the easiest market to sell into on the planet (possibly the universe), they certainly won't export a bunch - at least not enough to be a game changer. Our steel and tire industry decided we needed tarriff's so they could charge confiscatory prices. The folks in office have spoken about a $20/hr minimum wage - will that bring more productivity and quality to the table so we have more exportable goods? I'm not holding my breath.

Oh wait, we could export levi's jeans.... I forgot they are made in china (or similar), maybe that won't work. So what do we have of any value to export? Is Ben's idea to create an 'export vacuum' that gets filled with new industry developing? Would our attitude towards work change? Right now we might work a little if we get 16 breaks and have no responsibility for our work. Perhaps if the SEIU controlled all workers we'd be better off.

Anyway, I don't see exports working out unless we have something to export.

Thanks,

Pat

Wish I had time to participate in the SC Club, but I have pigs and there is no cure except really low prices and bankruptcy. Besides I'm not sure I'd be a member of a club that would have me as a member. - marx
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)