AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Errant shot by hunter?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

iseedit
Posted 10/28/2010 08:33 (#1411475 - in reply to #1411351)
Subject: RE: Errant shot by hunter?

central - east central Minnesota -
howmuchisenough - 10/28/2010 05:56

Went to the farm yesterday and saw what appears to be a bullet went through the front glass of the cab on my IH 1466.  The tractor was parked in the rear of a barn I use for equipment storage and maintenace work.  No doors on barn.   Shot came from rear of tractor and had to be a specific angle to enter through the door opening on the side of the cab (no doors on the cab at this time).  Sighting through the bullet hole in the glass and the angle it appears to have entered there is a deer stand on a neighbors property approximately 1/3 mile from the barn.  

My concern is that we do a lot of maintenance work in this barn and am now uneasy about the safety of anyone working in the barn.  I do not think this was an intentional act and am thankful that this was the only damage.  I feel that I should mention this to the owner of the property the deer stand is on without accusing anyone of doing it as I have no proof.  Any suggestions as to what I should do?  Am after no compensation for the damage, just want to make property owner aware there might be some unsafe shooting going on.     

Problem is . . . that bullet could have come from who knows where. I've had 2 bullets in 5 yrs appear on my farm. One was a  high caliber (larger then .22) and other most likely was a .22. One lodged in the I beam of my gooseneck trailer neck and the other went through the middle top of a 8ft metal garage door and lodged in the back of the garage 2x4. I have a neighbor across the street, but doubt he did it and most likely came from across country. I alerted the Sheriff and DNR, incase there were/are other reports/incidents. Nothing else came back from them. When a bullet is shot upward (arc), they can travel pretty far . . . Methbusters did a episode on it, so it could have came from a long way away.

Either way, I'd talk to the land owner and the tree stand hunter and let them know what you found. Getting to know your "enemies" so to speak . . . . . to put your mind at rest.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)